PUTRAJAYA: The prosecution will file an appeal against the decision to reject forfeiture suits amounting to RM194mil linked to 1Malaysia Development Board (1MDB).
The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission said the appeal will be filed by the prosecution from the Attorney General’s Chambers.
“The prosecution will file the appeal to the Appeals Court soon,” it said in a statement on Tuesday (June 23).
The MACC is referring to a recent decision by a Kuala Lumpur High Court to dismiss forfeiture applications by the government to retrieve RM194mil from Umno, Wanita MCA and two others. The funds were said to be linked to 1MDB.
The two others are Binsabi Sdn Bhd and Perano Sdn Bhd.
The government had sought to retrieve RM192,965,413.61 from Umno, RM300,000 from Wanita MCA, RM827,250 from Binsabi and RM337,634.78 from Perano.
On June 21 last year, MACC filed civil forfeiture applications against 41 individuals and entities, including Umno, to recover RM270mil allegedly from 1MDB.